We received this from Michelle who lives in Galley Hill and she is a dementia support worker for the Alzheimer’s Society, Dementia Information Service (DIS).
I am just emailing to let you know about our service, in case you felt this information was suitable for the GHRA news letter, or if any residents would like me to attend a coffee morning. Our contact number 01908 669404 or email, email@example.com
The DIS aims to support people with dementia, their carers, people with memory concerns and professionals to understand the benefits of a timely diagnosis and to raise awareness of specialist and community services, post diagnosis.
Evidence shows that people who are well supported following a diagnosis are:
- Enabled to live better quality lives for longer in their own homes
- Prevented or delayed from admission to a care home
- Prevented or delayed from having a crisis leading to admission to hospital, which often leads to premature admission to a care home and supported to be discharged from hospital earlier
People can self refer or be referred by their GP, the Specialist Memory Service (SMS) or by a care home or hospital to the DIS. The Dementia Support Workers will assess information and support needs and support primary care with input to care plans.
Benefits for people being referred to the DIS include:
- Advice around delaying progress of some symptoms of dementia
- Increased knowledge and understanding of dementia
- Advice around managing the condition
- Easier navigation of available services
- Help in planning for the future
We also have a local dementia friendly activity group held every Tuesday 10am – 12pm at Swinfen Harris Hall, London Road, MK11 1JA. Please get in touch if you would like anymore information. Kind regards,
Michelle Lee hee shiong
Dementia Support Worker
Dementia Information Service Alzheimer’s Society
Margaret Powell House
417 Midsummer Boulevard
T: 01908 669404