Tag Archives: meeting

Minutes of GHRA Meeting 19th October 2017

Galley Hill Residents Association

Minutes: Committee meeting #7Thursday, 19th October (18:45) Small Meeting Place

We built this city….!

  1. Welcome and H&S – Done
  2. Apologies – Paul Bartlett, Debbie X, Paul F and Peter Barry
  3. Formal approval of previous minutes
    1. Done
    2. Minor Changes (New Vice Chair elected not selected)
  4. Items for Discussion
    1. Financial update
      1. Tree carving (£1,500 grant received)
      2. Events (£400 grant received)
        1. £80 will go to insurance for events from this (100 people in SMP)
        2. What will be the first event we run?
          1. GHRA 1 year anniversary (November)
          2. Christmas Carols
          3. Summer event (but next year)
          4. Disco
      3. Coffee morning (£30)
      4. Possible donation via Liz Gifford (£300)
        1. Suggestions for use include: (1) newsletter sponsorship; (2) mural for Galley Hill’s History around the Large Meeting Place; (3) official stamp for GHRA; (4) other suggestions welcome
      5. In the pipeline:  £400 (outcome unknown currently)
    2. Tree carving
      1. Carving has not yet happened; Sally will talk to School about finalising a plan; tree-carver has shown images of similar work
      2. Likely to be started in half-term
      3. An offcut will be donated as a timeline plaque for the school
      4. Publicity around this (newspaper, newsletter, Town Crier, Look East, photos)
    3. Communication
      1. Response to emails: Complaint
        1. We are not replying to email apparently
        2. Please response quickly.
        3. Copying everyone on the committee in helps avoid problems if one person misses it.
      2. Noose
        1. Hasn’t been printed this month due to lack of sponsor
        2. Committee agrees that if no comments on a draft are received in 7 days, the newsletter will go to print.
        3. Court reps will now also be added to the editorial circulation list for checking the newsletter.
      3. This month the noose will be paid for by GHRA as there is no sponsor.  (Approval was also granted to pay for a second unsponsored newsletter)
    4. Anti-Social Behaviour
      1. Incidents have been reported.
      2. Paul Bartlett has been looking into this. Suggestion made that all parties involved work together to promptly resolve rather than passing problem from one to the other.
    1. Neighbourhood Watch

Milton Keynes Neighbourhood Watch invited scheme co-ordinators to their AGM in the Civic Offices on Saturday the 14th of October.

DPT attended and saw presentations from Chief Inspector Neil Kentish TVP and MKCouncil Safer MK http://www.safermk.com/ Colin Wilderspin

MKNHW want to expand within communities and SaferMK want to incorporate Community resilience.

Colin Harmsworth of JCAC (who also attending the meeting) has asked GHRA if he can attend our next public meeting to introduce this charity and its aims as they intend to provide community training that will help community resilience.

DPT also attended meeting in Wolverton on Tuesday evening to see a new Community Forum being introduced by TVP. The purpose of the Community Forum is to bring together, at a local level, the right organisations and members of the public to tackle the top community safety priorities identified through consultation.

      1. MK NW AGM attended by David – There was a discussion of crime in MK
      2. There is interest in having a community disaster planning
      3. Training may be available for First Responders – there will be a presentation about this at GHRA’s next (November) GHRA.
    1. GHRA Official Response
      1. To Peter Marland – MK Council says that the parish council must do the work instead.  It was agreed that a reply needs to be drafted.  GHRA and Mick and Paul should be obviously copied in on our reply.  GHRA would like to express their displeasure with this disengagement.
      2. To SSTC Town Hall (Council Offices) Refurbishments – it is understood that the £290k cost is to be covered by the parish council; there is concern that this cost will be passed onto local residents via an increase in local tax rates.  A vote was carried for GHRA to send a letter to the parish council stating that there is ‘concern about possible impact on increasing local tax rates’.
    2. Inspiring involvement of more GH residents
      1. Give gifts to children at Christmas with GHRA info on to raise awareness.  200 children at South Site School.  Ideas include pens, pencils, book marks,
      2. Christmas carol event may raise profile of GH and our residents association.
      3. Possible future NAG (Neighbourhood Action Group) may be set up.
      4. Do we want to run a survey?
  1. AOB
    1. Estate maintenance
      1. GHRA and Pastor K to look into talking to the council on having maintenance.
    2. Event: 1st Anniversary Party at Conservative Club – Mick to organise.  Some level of ticketing (can be free) to confirm numbers will be needed.
    3. Event:  Carol Singing (check doesn’t clash with SS Church).  Look into police permission.
    4. Notice board (Thursday 8:30 a.m.) will actually be moved.
  2. Next Meeting
    1. 16th November

Reminders

We have so much going on that it’s difficult to know where to start, so we will start with the tree carving news. We have secured the funding for the tree carving, to turn the fallen tree near the park into a bench. We are working with Stony Stratford Town Council, who are helping to arrange the tree carver, and St. Marys St. Giles school to get ideas from local children on how it should look.

On the subject of the school, they are looking for volunteers to help paint the school interior, do some odd jobs and move a shed for them. If you are willing to help and available on Friday 22nd September from 4pm to 8pm (or any time in between) or Saturday 23rd between 9 am and 6pm then please come along and pitch in.

We also have our public meeting on Thursday 21st September from 7pm at the Small Meeting Place (above the shop). We will be asking for people to vote on who our next Vice Chair should be as Cllr Mick Allsopp stood down from the position earlier in the year.

We also have some guests from Stony Stratford Town Council coming along to the meeting to talk about their plans for the library building in Stony Stratford. This is part of their ongoing consultation on their proposed refurbishment of the building and you can have your say on Thursday.

Finally a quick reminder that our coffee mornings are still happening every Tuesday between 10 am and 12 at the Small Meeting Place. Everyone is welcome for coffee, biscuits and a chat.

We hope to see you at any or all of the above events, from all the Committee of the Galley Hill Residents Association.

Minutes of GHRA Meeting 18th August 2017

Minutes:  Committee Meeting #6

Thursday, 17th august, 2017 (7pm)

Small Meeting Place Galley Hill

 

Welcome and H&S

Nyomie welcomed our two visitors PCSO Tina Lewington and SSTC Chairman Joan Walker MBE

Attendees: Nyomie Flecknell, Roy Adams, Douglas Titchmarsh, David Tavener, Paul Randall, Gill Millar, Janet Randall, Debbie Styles, Mick Allsopp, May Gray, V Harrison, Tina Lewington, Joan Walker MBE.

Apologies: Vicky Wiginton, Joy Sumner

Formal approval of previous minutes (available online at GHRA.uk)

There were no issues raised and the minutes were approved.

We deviated from the posted agenda to hear from our two guests.

The meeting started with Nyomie asking Tina four questions which had been submitted in advance. abbreviated replies in italics

  1. are we going to have more police presence on GH?

Tina replied that unfortunately that would not be the case

  1. what is being done about crime taking place on GH?

Tina replied that this was just a spike and that Police were reliant on community cooperation to resolve.

  1. what can we do to reassure people worried about the rise in crime

Police do their best to attend events like this to reassure people by increased contact

  1. what is causing the crime wave on GH?

as stated earlier it’s just a typical spike and we need to be vigilant and report crime

Nyomie and attendees thanked Tina for her time and providing the feedback and reassurance we sought. Tina then left the meeting to resume her duties.

David T requested the meeting adopt GHRA proposal for individuals to use CCTV and speed camera software as there had been no objections from the newsletter survey. With no objections from the meeting we will proceed.

Mick introduced SSTC Chairman Joan Walker MBE and invited her to address the meeting. Joan wanted to return to clear up some misunderstandings that had taken place during the previous Council meeting held at the SMP. Joan described how the council works, what they can and cannot do and how their hands are tied by strict procedures.

Nyomie thanked Joan for attending and clarifying the Council’s position and everyone looks forward to working with SSTC in the spirit of mutual appreciation & goodwill

We then returned our attention to the formal agenda.

Discuss up-coming committee position changes (Chair, vice-chair, events)

Nyomie mentioned that there were two nominations to date but that we did need people from the estate to seriously consider volunteering to help their friends and neighbours. The pay is lousy but job satisfaction is high.

Set dates for coming meetings

Mick was asked to contact Pastor Kumi and try to arrange a further year of the third Thursday every month in 2018 with the meeting starting earlier at 18:30.

Tree-carving/bench

Roy has had funding confirmed, some final paperwork to complete and get the school children involved in design with artist/carver.

Local activities

Coffee mornings. Proceeding well and to be mentioned in next SSTC Newsletter with open invitation.

Discos & picnics

Open Garden & Counts Competition

Milton Keynes at 50

Christmas Events (singing/Santa)

Funding

Roy is pursuing other sources, all donations welcome, our bank details are on the web site.

Communication

“Noose” newsletter: Please let us have articles or items you would like included

“Friends of Galley Hill” Facebook page

Notice board: this will apparently require an £80 license to relocate!

Website – GHRA.uk

Problems

Trees/leaves/landscaping

David T mentioned that several initiatives had been blocked by MK Council without reasonable explanation. The outcome of the brief discussion was to invite the council leader Peter Marland to our next meeting to explain why. David was tasked with producing a letter inviting Mr Marland to the meeting.

Any other business: none

Dates of next meetings:

General Meeting Committee Meeting
21st September 19th October
16th November 14th December

Minutes of the GHRA Committee Meeting No. 5 15th June 2017

Minutes: Committee Meeting #5

15th June, 2017 (7pm)

Small Meeting Place

People

Present Absent
Committee:

NF: Nyomie Flecknell (Chair/Clailey)

JS: Joy Sumner (Secretary)

MA: Mick Allsopp

PF: Paul Flecknell

DoT: Doug Titchmarsh

RA: Roy Adams (Treasurer/Cottesloe)

DaT: David Tavener (Creslow)

Pete Barry

Anne Davis

Nora Reidy

Adam Elsworth

Committee:

Order of Business

  1. Welcome and H&S– done
  2. Apologies– done
  3. Formal approval of previous minutes – done
  1. Committee Reports/Update on Actions and Items for discussion
    1. New Items
      1. Licencing – license application being discussed
      2. Antisocial behaviour – Discussions ongoing with SSTC.
      3. Neighbourhood watch – General positive response. Signs have gone up. More members are always welcome. Coordinated by DaT.
      4. Local GH issues – GH and GHRA are keen to engage with SSTC and MKC on issues relating to GH.
      5. SSTC rate increase – Parish Council has raised rates 7.5% and yet no one has complained. JS/NF to write official note expressing concern and hoping it isn’t setting a precedent for following years.
      6. Attendance of Town Councillors linked to GH – Interest expressed in Councillor Paul Bartlett attending GHRA events.
      7. Procedure for discussing and agreeing actions between meetings – Email contact to set up meeting – 3 committee members are sufficient to make decisions. Decision must be reported by email to rest of committee.
      8. (Security) cameras on estate – Interest due to burglary. Depends on whether others object. If no objections, then cameras can go up. Notices are needed to identify this.
      9. Motorcycle noise – it has been noted that motorcycles have been riding back and forth on the estate is late afternoon/early evening. This has been reported to the police.
      10. Council Wall Repairs – DaT proposed a scheme which is currently being pursued by the SSTC Deputy Clerk on GHRA behalf.
    1. SSTC meeting
      1. Trees/leaves/landscaping – The last tree maintenance for the estate was a long time ago, and this will be raised at the next council meeting. (Adam to speak on this to the Parish Council)
      2. Pathway/road problems – This may be possible to tackle in the medium term if we act as a community. (Debbie to speak on this to the Parish Council)
      3. Other – Rubbish put outside at the wrong time (consistently). The fire-brigade has been contacted, but this isn’t currently considered a fire hazard. (Nyomie on behalf for Mrs Reidy to speak on this to the Parish Council)
      4. Want to encourage GH residents to attend.
    1. Local activities
      1. Discos & picnics – September Event (but the insurance is only for 100 people).
    1. Communication
      1. “Noose” newsletter- Next newssheet is ready for printing. Has been okayed by committee. Doug has volunteered to act as deputy editor; supporting Dave.
      2. School newsletter will carry a note about GHRA.
    1. Problems
      1. Speed limit and traffic control – New technique for recording speed will be trailed. Newsletter is asking for resident association. It is also noted that the signs for ‘30’ have gone from one of the GH entrances.
      2. Request for new road sign requesting ‘no ball games’ on Bunsty.
    1. Insurance/Funding
      1. Sources? Insurance is important now. Zurich is £80 and can be done (for one year, but for a max. of 100 people per event). Committee approved this use. Roy is going to sort it out.
      2. MK council has us on their residents’ association website and funding will be arranged. We are currently ‘white’ with them.
    1. Defining role of committee
      1. Progress with GHRA registration – Done
      2. Code of Conduct approval
  1. Confirmation of next meeting dates

General Meeting Committee Meeting
20th July 17th August
21st September 19th October
16th November 14th December

SSTC meeting on 18th July @ SMP

Abbreviations

AGM annual general meeting

AOB any other business

GH Galley Hill

H&S health and safety

SSTC Stony Stratford Town Council

TBC to be confirmed

 

Actions

Action On? Date Set Update
Request an additional dog bin at the Galley Hill/Fullers Slade boundary where there is currently no bin. If possible, this should be at a suitable height for wheelchair users. Committee 16/03/2017 On going
Look into getting additional litter bins. Committee 16/03/2017 Quote for bins has been given. Action currently closed until funds can be raised.
Coffee morning (Tuesday 10-12) volunteers wanted. GH residents 16/03/2017 On going
Investigate the possibility of advertising the coffee mornings in the shop window. Committee 16/03/2017 Carried over
If you are interested in submitting an article for GH newsletter, Noose, please get in contact via the website. GH residents 16/03/2017 This action repeats – our first newsletter has been successfully delivered
Invite PCSOs to one of the coming meetings. Committee 16/03/2017 Done.

PCSOs have attended GH coffee mornings

Discuss registering GHRA with the council Nyomie F 2016-11-30 Done
Find volunteers for court reps Dave T 2016-11-30 On going
For General Meeting of GHRA, make a list to see if there is interest in a children’s club Nyomie F 2016-11-30 Carried over
Talk to Sue about the potential for using the school in the summer Nyomie F 2016-11-30 Carried over
Investigate possible funding for a GH party for MK’s 50th. Mick A

And Paul F / Social Sub-Committee

2016-11-30 Carried over
Book meeting rooms Mick 2016-12-07 Done – standing action
Add actions of previous committee meetings to GHRA website Joy/Doug 2017-02-27 Done – standing action
Look into possibilities and application process for the national lottery Roy 2017-02-27 Carried over
Arrange a ‘social’ GHRA email address Doug/Paul 2017-02-27 Carried over
Add link to YourMK on the GHRA website Doug 20/04/2017
Get correct text from Roy to add to minutes Roy/Joy 20/04/2017 Done
Add details for Resident Involvement Meetings to website David 20/04/2017
Raise issue with parking/blocking access to houses with council clark Mick 20/04/2017
Need article for Town Crier – This one will be based on Coffee morning Roy/ Mick/ Nyomie 20/04/2017
Look into alcohol related issues around GH David 15/06/2017
Note to SSTC from GHRA regarding rate increases Nyomie/Joy 15/06/2017
Arrange Zurich insurance (depending on GHRA bank balance) Roy 15/06/2017

 

 

Appendix: Outstanding Points for Discussion at Later Meetings

    1. Local activities
      1. Coffee mornings
      2. Open Garden & Counts Competition
      3. Milton Keynes at 50
      4. Christmas Events (singing/Santa)
    1. Communication
      1. “Friends of Galley Hill” Facebook page
      2. Notice board
      3. Website – GHRA.uk
      4. Documents for SSTC website
      5. Documents for SSTC ‘Town Crier’
    1. Problems
      1. Trees/leaves/landscaping
      2. Antisocial parking
      3. Pathway/road problems
      4. Problems with local street lighting not working
      5. The state of the local park/playground area
      6. Blocked drains near to the shop leading to local flooding
      7. Need for more dog bins on the estate, especially near the footpaths
      8. Bins, in particular the problems with using bags that can be easily torn and early placement at the kerbside
      9. Abandoned cars on the estate
      10. Potholes
      11. Cleaning – Also linked to volunteer cleaning?
      12. Redbourn Road sign is missing
    1. Insurance/Funding
      1. Bank Account

 

Report: GHRA meeting 18th May 2017

The public meeting of the Galley Hill Residents Association (GHRA) on 18th May was once again well attended, with some now familiar faces attending once again.  While it is great to see those regular attendees who the committee would like to thank for their ongoing support, it would be even better to see more of the Galley Hill residents attend to offer their views (and any help they can give) so we know we are doing the right things.

On the way in people were asked to sign the register of attendees for fire safety reasons, and the minutes of the last meeting were made available by our secretary, Joy, who had once again done an excellent behind the scenes job of compiling and  bringing copies of the minutes and the agenda for the meeting along for all to see. The meeting was started by Chairperson Nyomie with the usual Health And Safety and welcome message. Then Vice Chairperson, Mick Allsopp spoke about the ongoing issues of the tree trunk bench for MK50 and the movement of the noticeboard for which permission has been granted but the Council have placed a fair way down on their list. Plans for the GHRA disco have had to be put on hold pending Public Liability Insurance being acquired, an unfortunate necessity in these modern times, but it is still very much on the cards for the future. It was decided that it was too early to make Christmas plans, and maybe a little late for the Milton Keynes 50 event to be organised, but we are all welcome to the event being organised by our neighbours at Fullers Slade RA – Back To The Future on 24th June 2017.

During the meeting it was also noted that our AGM was supposed to be arranged for May. It was agreed by all present that as the GHRA only really got started at the beginning of the year it would be a little soon to start changing the committee around and confuse matters. Following this, Mick Allsopp dropped the bombshell that he was to step down as the Vice Chairman to concentrate on his work as a Councillor for Galley Hill, and to better act as liaison between GHRA and the relevant Councils. We all thank Mick for his hard work and dedication to the GHRA, and for all he does for the residents as our local Councillor. He has also promised to still be there to help the GHRA as much as he can, and we all know he won’t be able to walk away that easily 🙂
This leaves the GHRA with an opening for a new Vice Chairperson, so we are looking for volunteers or nominations for the role. This mainly involves being back up for our Chairperson, Nyomie Flecknell, who is doing a great job at the head of the committee but needs a little support and cover for the times she isn’t available. If you would like to be involved in the committee, and can spare a little time then we need applicants before the next Committee meeting, Thursday, 15 June. All potential candidates will be posted on all of our communication platforms (here, the Friends Of Galley Hill Facebook group, and hopefully our next newsletter) and at the public meeting in July all people present will be able to vote on who they would like to see as the new vice chairperson.

A show of hands was requested to see who had seen the GHRA newsletter which had been distributed recently. Most of those present had seen it, and all who had read it gave positive feedback. A quick request for future sponsors for the newsletter was made (if you would like to sponsor an issue, please contact us for details).

The meeting was opened up to the public, and anti-social parking, rubbish, overgrown trees and falling leaves were discussed. It was agreed that to take these complaints forward they need to be put to the Council at a public meeting to be held on Galley Hill in June (date TBC) and 3 volunteers have agreed to stand up and push three of these issues into the limelight at the meeting on behalf of all of us.

All too soon time had run out, and the meeting was closed. A big thank you to all who attended, volunteered, and to Pastor Kumi for the use of the facilities once again.

Thank you all,
The Galley Hill Residents Association Committee.

GHRA – What’s Happening

Hello,
No we haven’t disappeared off the face of the earth, it’s just been quiet here because things have been happening behind the scenes. Things like:-

We have been working on making it even easier to contact us at your Residents Association and we now have a new telephone number (thanks Dave) .
Just call on 01908 973073  leave us a message and we will get back to you as soon as we can. This is also on our Contacts Page along with all of the other ways for you to get in touch.

Also some of you may have received the GHRA newsletter through your letterbox by now, if not it should be delivered very soon.  GHRA newsletter can be downloaded here if you haven’t received it.  Please take a little time out of your busy days to read it and let us know if there’s anything you liked, or didn’t like about it.  It would be great to hear from people if they have anything they would like to see in the next newsletter, or from any local companies who would like to sponsor a newsletter in the future as they cost money to print. Thanks to the sponsors of this newsletter, AW Diesel Services who paid for the newsletter to be printed for all the  houses in Galley Hill.

We have also finally got the bank account opened after much hard work by our treasurer, Roy who has been trying to get the rest of us to sign forms, which has been like herding cats for him. He has managed it though, and we now need to start filling it with money to spend on local community projects and events, if you feel like donating a little to help with the community events we will shortly have details posted on how you can donate (there is some information on making a donation contained in the newsletter, see the link above).

Plans are in progress for a disco and other events for the local community, but we need to set up insurances before any events can be organised, which again costs money. Hopefully we can get some local government help, but once again donations would help speed things up.
The coffee mornings are still being organised at the small meeting place above the shop every Tuesday morning from 10 am to 12 and all are welcome.

Finally, there is a public meeting of the Galley Hill Residents Association on Thursday 18th May. All Galley Hill Residents are invited to attend to have their say on matters concerning the area.

Thanks for reading this far, The GHRA committee hopes to hear from you soon.

Actions: Committee Meeting #1 Wednesday, 30th November, 2016 (7pm)

People

Present Absent
NF:  Nyomie Flecknell (Chair)

JS:  Joy Sumner (Secretary)

RA:  Roy Adams (Treasurer)

MA:  Mick Allsopp

DaT: David Tavener

DoT: Doug Titchmarsh

No one

 

Actions

Action On? Date Set Update
Handover discussion for relevant communications Doug T/ Dave T 2016-11-30
Update the constitution as noted in minutes Joy S 2016-11-30
Discuss registering GHRA with the council Nyomie F 2016-11-30
Investigate possibilities for a GHRA domain Doug T 2016-11-30
Investigate options for a GHRA bank account Roy A 2016-11-30
Find volunteers for court reps Dave T 2016-11-30
Scan and circulate email with first copy of Noose Mike A 2016-11-30
Send around date of next SSTC meeting Mike A 2016-11-30
For General Meeting of GHRA, make a list to see if there is interest in a children’s club Nyomie F 2016-11-30
Talk to Sue about the potential for using the school in the summer Nyomie F 2016-11-30
Investigate possible funding for a GH party for MK’s 50th. Mike A 2016-11-30
Book venue for next meeting Mike A 2016-11-30
Update on discussions with Council about making a bench for GH from the tree felled from GH. Mike A 2016-11-30