Category Archives: GHRA Meetings

Minutes of past meetings, and agendas for upcoming meetings.

Report: GHRA meeting 18th May 2017

The public meeting of the Galley Hill Residents Association (GHRA) on 18th May was once again well attended, with some now familiar faces attending once again.  While it is great to see those regular attendees who the committee would like to thank for their ongoing support, it would be even better to see more of the Galley Hill residents attend to offer their views (and any help they can give) so we know we are doing the right things.

On the way in people were asked to sign the register of attendees for fire safety reasons, and the minutes of the last meeting were made available by our secretary, Joy, who had once again done an excellent behind the scenes job of compiling and  bringing copies of the minutes and the agenda for the meeting along for all to see. The meeting was started by Chairperson Nyomie with the usual Health And Safety and welcome message. Then Vice Chairperson, Mick Allsopp spoke about the ongoing issues of the tree trunk bench for MK50 and the movement of the noticeboard for which permission has been granted but the Council have placed a fair way down on their list. Plans for the GHRA disco have had to be put on hold pending Public Liability Insurance being acquired, an unfortunate necessity in these modern times, but it is still very much on the cards for the future. It was decided that it was too early to make Christmas plans, and maybe a little late for the Milton Keynes 50 event to be organised, but we are all welcome to the event being organised by our neighbours at Fullers Slade RA – Back To The Future on 24th June 2017.

During the meeting it was also noted that our AGM was supposed to be arranged for May. It was agreed by all present that as the GHRA only really got started at the beginning of the year it would be a little soon to start changing the committee around and confuse matters. Following this, Mick Allsopp dropped the bombshell that he was to step down as the Vice Chairman to concentrate on his work as a Councillor for Galley Hill, and to better act as liaison between GHRA and the relevant Councils. We all thank Mick for his hard work and dedication to the GHRA, and for all he does for the residents as our local Councillor. He has also promised to still be there to help the GHRA as much as he can, and we all know he won’t be able to walk away that easily 🙂
This leaves the GHRA with an opening for a new Vice Chairperson, so we are looking for volunteers or nominations for the role. This mainly involves being back up for our Chairperson, Nyomie Flecknell, who is doing a great job at the head of the committee but needs a little support and cover for the times she isn’t available. If you would like to be involved in the committee, and can spare a little time then we need applicants before the next Committee meeting, Thursday, 15 June. All potential candidates will be posted on all of our communication platforms (here, the Friends Of Galley Hill Facebook group, and hopefully our next newsletter) and at the public meeting in July all people present will be able to vote on who they would like to see as the new vice chairperson.

A show of hands was requested to see who had seen the GHRA newsletter which had been distributed recently. Most of those present had seen it, and all who had read it gave positive feedback. A quick request for future sponsors for the newsletter was made (if you would like to sponsor an issue, please contact us for details).

The meeting was opened up to the public, and anti-social parking, rubbish, overgrown trees and falling leaves were discussed. It was agreed that to take these complaints forward they need to be put to the Council at a public meeting to be held on Galley Hill in June (date TBC) and 3 volunteers have agreed to stand up and push three of these issues into the limelight at the meeting on behalf of all of us.

All too soon time had run out, and the meeting was closed. A big thank you to all who attended, volunteered, and to Pastor Kumi for the use of the facilities once again.

Thank you all,
The Galley Hill Residents Association Committee.

GHRA Meeting 20th April 2017

The GHRA committee held another of its monthly meetings on 20th April, this one being for the benefit of the committee and the Court Representatives. These are held bi-monthly between the fully open public meetings to give the reps and committee a chance to discuss matters brought up in open meetings and to clarify what is being done and by whom to take things forward and improve Galley Hill.

During this meeting we heard from a representative of YOURMK to advise us of the regeneration plans for Fullers Slade, which are in the primary consultation phases. They are holding an open discussion at the Rowans Family Centre, Moorfoot, Fullers Slade MK11 2BD on 26/4/2017 for the communities the proposed regenerations will affect to open the discussions. There will be a year long ongoing discussion with residents in affected areas before any decisions are taken, so no firm plans are currently available.
We will have some more information available here soon, but much more is available at YOURMK.CO.UK.

The meeting was then moved along to the matters affecting Galley Hill directly, many of which are still being discussed with the council with no firm commitment from the MKC Council. Among the problems discussed were leaves (cleared now that Spring is here anyway), dog bins (more required on Galley Hill), and the playground areas. On a positive note the Redbourne sign which went missing has been found in Bletchley so should be back in place sometime soon, street lights around the estate seem to be working now, and the GHRA bank account has been agreed, and Roy the treasurer can begin sourcing funding from various bodies for the association to use for the good of Galley Hill.

The coffee mornings on Tuesday mornings (every Tuesday 10 am till 12 at the small meeting place above the shop) have been well received, so a sub committee has been set up to run them more efficiently. There is also some initial planning for more social events to be organised by the GHRA, including possibly a disco, and a celebration of 50 years of Milton Keynes to be held later in the year.

A hot topic of debate was discussed towards the end of the meeting, that of potholes in the roads around Galley Hill. There is a scheme being used in other parts of the UK where quieter areas which have potholes are being repaired by local volunteers. The volunteers are trained, and supplied equipment by the council to do minor pothole repairs on quieter roads. This can be seen as a way of getting the holes filled, or a way for councils to sidestep their responsibilities for which we all pay our rates. There was some very passionate debate on the issue, which looks like it is going to require more input from the residents of Galley Hill to decide.

As is always the case, time ran away, and the meeting was closed leaving some topics for the next meetings. Hopefully speeding cars, parking problems and abandoned cars around the area among other issues can be discussed in the next meeting.

Click for the minutes of this meeting 

As always we are keen to hear from anyone in the area through emails to the reps in the contacts page, our feedback forms, or by commenting here in the comments section.

Minutes of the GHRA Meeting 20/4/2017

Galley Hill Residents Association

Minutes:  Committee Meeting #4

20th April, 2017 (7pm)

Small Meeting Place, Galley Hill

People

Present Absent
Committee:

NF:  Nyomie Flecknell (Chair/Clailey)

JS:  Joy Sumner (Secretary)

MA:  Mick Allsopp

DaT: David Tavener (Creslow)

PF: Paul Flecknell

DoT: Doug Titchmarsh

RA:  Roy Adams (Treasurer/Cottesloe)

Sue Fitch (Essenden Court Rep)

Henry Suppiah (Cottesloe Court Rep)

Paul Randall (Flitton Court Rep)

MayGray (Mursley Court Rep)

Pastor Kuomi (PK)

Charlie Davies (yourMK)

Committee:

None

Key Dates

Town Council Meeting 7:30 Swinthin Hall 26th April 2017 (Wednesday)

YourMK redevelopment plans 2-6pm at Rowans Family Centre, 26th April (Wednesday)


Actions

Action On? Date Set Update
Discuss registering GHRA with the council Nyomie F 2016-11-30 On going:
Investigate options for a GHRA bank account Roy A 2016-11-30 Done
Find volunteers for court reps Dave T 2016-11-30 On going
For General Meeting of GHRA, make a list to see if there is interest in a children’s club Nyomie F 2016-11-30 Carried over
Talk to Sue about the potential for using the school in the summer Nyomie F 2016-11-30 Carried over
Investigate possible funding for a GH party for MK’s 50th. Mick A

And Paul F / Social Sub-Committee

2016-11-30 Carried over

23-24June2017 around MK 60s day street parties

Need to register by April 2017

MK50.com website

Book meeting rooms Mick 2016-12-07 Done – standing action
Add actions of previous committee meetings to GHRA website Joy/Doug 2017-02-27 Done – standing action
Confirm date of next MKC meeting Mick 2017-02-27 Done
Kick off coffee morning on 7th March, 10. Mick, Nyomie, Pastor Kuomi and Roy 2017-02-27 Done
Print adverts for coffee morning David 2017-02-27 Done
Distribute fliers for coffee morning Court reps 2017-02-27 Done but may need reminder fliers sending around
Look into possibilities and application process for the national lottery Roy 2017-02-27 Carried over
Set up a webform for people interested in joining a GH neighbourhood watch scheme Doug 2017-02-27 Done
To take the scanned version of Noose and put on the GHRA website. Doug 2017-02-27 Done
Arrange a ‘social’ GHRA email address Doug/Paul 2017-02-27 Carried over
Request an additional dog bin at the Galley Hill/Fullers Slade boundary where there is currently no bin.  If possible, this should be at a suitable height for wheelchair users. Committee 16/03/2017 Carried over
Look into getting additional litter bins. Committee 16/03/2017 Carrier over
Coffee morning (Tuesday 10-12) volunteers wanted. GH residents 16/03/2017 On going
Investigate the possibility of advertising the coffee mornings in the shop window. Committee 16/03/2017 Carried over
If you are interested in submitting an article for GH newsletter, Noose, please get in contact via the website. GH residents 16/03/2017 Carried over
Invite PCSOs to one of the coming meetings. Committee 16/03/2017 In progress
Add link to YourMK on the GHRA website Doug 20/04/2017
Get correct text from Roy to add to minutes Roy/Joy 20/04/2017
Add details for Resident Involvement Meetings to website David 20/04/2017
Raise issue with parking/blocking access to houses with council clark Mick 20/04/2017
Need article for Town Crier – This one will be based on Coffee morning Roy/ Mick/ Nyomie 20/04/2017

 

Minutes: General Open Meeting #3 Thursday, 16th March, 2017

 

Held At The Small Meeting Place Galley Hill

People

Present Absent
Committee:

NF:  Nyomie Flecknell (Chair/Clailey)

JS:  Joy Sumner (Secretary)

MA:  Mick Allsopp

DaT: David Tavener (Creslow)

PF: Paul Flecknell
See sign-up sheet for other attendees

Committee:

RA:  Roy Adams (Treasurer/Cottesloe)

DoT: Doug Titchmarsh

Order of Business

  1. Welcome and H&S – Done
  1. Apologies – Received from Roy Adams and Doug Titchmarsh
  1. Formal approval of previous minutes – Done
    1. Items for discussion

 

  • Problems
  • – Updates on problems that the committee are currently tackling are given below.  Other problems will be addressed as these are handled.

 

Problem Detail Update
Trees Issues relating to:

leaves

This has been raised with the council and discussions are on-going.
Estate maintenance Issues with slip/trip hazards and overgrown footpaths This has been raised with the council and discussions are on-going.
Antisocial parking Near to school and also in other locations making access difficult Bollards and double yellow lines are being investigated as are visits from ticket wardens.

To improve pedestrian safety near to the school, a possible crossing will be raised with MKC.

This will hopefully also affect the parking in the immediate area.

(Other solutions such as cameras, no-parking times etc were raised but will be left for the moment.)

Street lights Street lighting that it not working This has been raised with the highway agency (and, where relevant, the school)
Dog bins Problems with placement being away from the main footpaths, so that dog owners are not always using them 2 pre-existing bins may be moved closer into Galley Hill.

We will request an additional bin at the Galley Hill/Fullers Slade boundary where there is currently no bin.

 

        1. If there are (specific!) problems with trees, etc, please pass this on to the committee so that we can collect the data.
        2. Concerns were also raised that there may be possible future problems with Galley Hill being used as a ‘rat run’ as the Western Expansion develops.  However, this is not yet felt to be an issue.
        3. Litter bins as well as dog bins were requested.
        4. The round-about in the playground is broken.
      1. Local activities

 

  • Current activities:

 

Activity Detail
Coffee mornings For all Galley Hill citizens

Tuesday morning (10-12 a.m.) at the small meeting place above the shop.

2 sessions so far, with the kick-off morning on 7th March.

Looking for volunteers to get involved with running the sessions.

Interest was expressed in adding talks, trips, etc in the future.

 

  • Activities for the future:

 

Activity Detail
Open Garden/Courts Competition Summer?
Christmas event (singing/Santa) Looking into combined events with Fullers Slade
Picnic
Disco
Queen’s Anniversary Event
      1. Milton Keynes at 50 (2017)
        1. Update on Bench need to complete GHRA registration
        2. Party on GH School is interested in engaging, but needs permission.  This event would be held later in the year (possibly early September) to prevent clashes with other events in MK.
      2. Funding
        1. Sources?
        2. Bank Account At a vote, the residents unanimously agreed that 3 committee members are sufficient signatories for the bank account.  (Full list of committee members given in ‘people’ box at top of document)
        3. Insurance – insuremyevent.com was mentioned as having affordable cover for 1-5 events/year.  (Used by FSRA.)
      3. Communication
        1. “Noose” If you are interested in submitting an article, please get in contact via the website – email news using this link
        2. Facebook – “Friends of Galley Hill”
        3. Google drive

 

  • Email/paper notices – note that some courts are not getting all notices

 

        1. Notice board on-going
        2. Website – GHRA.uk – Residents are encouraged to use the website
      1. Neighbourhood watch

 

  • If you are interested in joining, there is an online form (on GHRA.uk)
  • PCSOs were also raised and it was suggested that they be invited to attend one of the coming GHRA meetings.

 

    1. Any other business

 

  • A new sign has been requested for Redborne as the current one is missing
  • Visitors will be invited to future GHRA meetings.  Currently Mick is talking to a member of YourMK.  Following the earlier discussion, the local PCSOs will be invited (on a different evening) as will members from MKC.  If you have any visitors that you would like invited to GHRA, please contact us using the GHRA.uk website.

 

 

  1. Date of next meeting:

Provisional dates for the next 2017 meetings (general and committee) are on Thursdays at 7pm.

 

General Meeting Committee Meeting
16th March 20th April
18th May 15th June
20th July 17th August
21st September 19th October
16th November 14th December

 

Abbreviations

AGM annual general meeting

AIM added in meeting (not on original agenda)

AOB any other business

FSRA Fullers Slade Residents Association

GH Galley Hill

GHRA Galley Hill Residents Association

H&S health and safety

MKC Milton Keynes Council

SSTC Stony Stratford Town Council

 

Disclaimer:  Every attempt has been made to make this document a true and representative recording of events.  If you have a concern about the content, please contact the committee as soon as is reasonably practical.

Actions

Action On? Date Set Update
Date of GHRA’s next General Meeting to be set for 2 months Committee 26/01/2017 Done
Discuss route for solving problems/promoting activities in committee meeting to bring to next open meeting Committee 26/01/2017 Done – see noted in minutes
Request an additional dog bin at the Galley Hill/Fullers Slade boundary where there is currently no bin.  If possible, this should be at a suitable height for wheelchair users. Committee 16/03/2017
Look into getting additional litter bins. Committee 16/03/2017
Coffee morning (Tuesday 10-12) volunteers wanted. GH residents 16/03/2017
Investigate the possibility of advertising the coffee mornings in the shop window. Committee 16/03/2017
If you are interested in submitting an article for GH newsletter, Noose, , please get in contact via the website. GH residents 16/03/2017
Invite PCSOs to one of the coming meetings. Committee 16/03/2017

 

Actions: Committee Meeting #2 Monday, 12/12/2016 (7pm) Watling Way Centre

People

Present Absent
NF:  Nyomie Flecknell (Chair)

JS:  Joy Sumner (Secretary)

RA:  Roy Adams (Treasurer)

MA:  Mick Allsopp

DaT: David Tavener

DoT: Doug Titchmarsh

None

 

Actions

Action On? Date Set Update
Handover discussion for relevant communications Doug T/ Dave T 2016-11-30 Done
Update the constitution as noted in minutes Joy S 2016-11-30 Done
Discuss registering GHRA with the council Nyomie F 2016-11-30 On going
Investigate possibilities for a GHRA domain Doug T 2016-11-30 Done
Investigate options for a GHRA bank account Roy A 2016-11-30 On going
Find volunteers for court reps Dave T 2016-11-30 On going
Scan and circulate email with first copy of Noose Mick A 2016-11-30 Carried over
Send around date of next SSTC meeting Mick A 2016-11-30 Done: Jan 17th
For General Meeting of GHRA, make a list to see if there is interest in a children’s club Nyomie F 2016-11-30 Not before Jan ‘17
Talk to Sue about the potential for using the school in the summer Nyomie F 2016-11-30 Not before Jan ‘17
Investigate possible funding for a GH party for MK’s 50th. Mick A 2016-11-30 Carried over
Book venue for next meeting Mick A 2016-11-30 Done
Update on discussions with Council about making a bench for GH from the tree felled from GH. Mick A 2016-11-30 Done
Will send around brief details of Metro Bank Account Roy 2016-12-07
Will send details of online log in for email Doug 2016-12-07
Book meeting rooms Mick 2016-12-07
Circulate minutes Joy 2016-12-07
Circulate scan of Metro bank details provided by Roy Joy 2016-12-07
Document pack needed to be produced and provided to the Court Reps (inc. minutes/agenda of meetings) Dave 2016-12-07
Look into use of Mail Chimp Doug/Dave 2016-12-07

Actions: Committee Meeting #1 Wednesday, 30th November, 2016 (7pm)

People

Present Absent
NF:  Nyomie Flecknell (Chair)

JS:  Joy Sumner (Secretary)

RA:  Roy Adams (Treasurer)

MA:  Mick Allsopp

DaT: David Tavener

DoT: Doug Titchmarsh

No one

 

Actions

Action On? Date Set Update
Handover discussion for relevant communications Doug T/ Dave T 2016-11-30
Update the constitution as noted in minutes Joy S 2016-11-30
Discuss registering GHRA with the council Nyomie F 2016-11-30
Investigate possibilities for a GHRA domain Doug T 2016-11-30
Investigate options for a GHRA bank account Roy A 2016-11-30
Find volunteers for court reps Dave T 2016-11-30
Scan and circulate email with first copy of Noose Mike A 2016-11-30
Send around date of next SSTC meeting Mike A 2016-11-30
For General Meeting of GHRA, make a list to see if there is interest in a children’s club Nyomie F 2016-11-30
Talk to Sue about the potential for using the school in the summer Nyomie F 2016-11-30
Investigate possible funding for a GH party for MK’s 50th. Mike A 2016-11-30
Book venue for next meeting Mike A 2016-11-30
Update on discussions with Council about making a bench for GH from the tree felled from GH. Mike A 2016-11-30

Big Turnout For GHRA Public Meeting

Well, that surprised us all, the meeting on 26/1/2017 was a huge success and the meeting place was packed with people who want to see a change in their local community. Once the introductions (including the court reps who have volunteered to help get the information flowing both ways) and the general association business had been taken care of, we heard of the first small step the committee made in getting something changed. Our Chairperson has addressed the Council to get the Galley Hill noticeboard  moved to a more prominent position for better access and visibility to all. It may sound trivial, but this was Nyomie’s first time representing the Residents of Galley Hill, so it was decided to start with something small to get her feet wet in the pool of local Council meetings, and she has got her first result as the sign is being moved.  Well done Nyomie!

The floor was then opened up to everybody to find out what the people of Galley Hill wish to see changed. It seems as if there are some common problems in the area which are affecting everybody, such as the overgrown bushes and grass which obstruct the pathways. Litter was also high on the list for quite a few of the people we heard from.  Leaves on the paths making them slippery are another issue we added to the list of local concerns. We also heard about drains with plants growing out of them and parking problems in the courts.

But it wasn’t all about complaints, as the GHRA committee also wanted to know if there was any appetite for social events in the area, and ways to bring the community together as a whole. With the 50th anniversary of Milton Keynes and the historical importance of Galley Hill to the foundation of the New Town it seems only fitting that we try to bring together the people of the area to commemorate the half century.
With that in mind there are the seeds of a plan to organise something for Galley Hill Residents, and we even got somebody to volunteer for the role of organising this and future events, and another kind soul who has offered to pitch in and help with the 50th anniversary celebrations.

To sum it up, the Galley Hill Residents Association has gone from the seeds of an idea to actually starting work on issues and community building. Now we really need your support and help to continue onwards and upwards to making  ours a better area to live in. With that in mind please can we ask you to fill in a feedback form and sign up for the Newsletter before you leave the site?