All posts by Dougyt

Minutes of GHRA Meeting 19th October 2017

Galley Hill Residents Association

Minutes: Committee meeting #7Thursday, 19th October (18:45) Small Meeting Place

We built this city….!

  1. Welcome and H&S – Done
  2. Apologies – Paul Bartlett, Debbie X, Paul F and Peter Barry
  3. Formal approval of previous minutes
    1. Done
    2. Minor Changes (New Vice Chair elected not selected)
  4. Items for Discussion
    1. Financial update
      1. Tree carving (£1,500 grant received)
      2. Events (£400 grant received)
        1. £80 will go to insurance for events from this (100 people in SMP)
        2. What will be the first event we run?
          1. GHRA 1 year anniversary (November)
          2. Christmas Carols
          3. Summer event (but next year)
          4. Disco
      3. Coffee morning (£30)
      4. Possible donation via Liz Gifford (£300)
        1. Suggestions for use include: (1) newsletter sponsorship; (2) mural for Galley Hill’s History around the Large Meeting Place; (3) official stamp for GHRA; (4) other suggestions welcome
      5. In the pipeline:  £400 (outcome unknown currently)
    2. Tree carving
      1. Carving has not yet happened; Sally will talk to School about finalising a plan; tree-carver has shown images of similar work
      2. Likely to be started in half-term
      3. An offcut will be donated as a timeline plaque for the school
      4. Publicity around this (newspaper, newsletter, Town Crier, Look East, photos)
    3. Communication
      1. Response to emails: Complaint
        1. We are not replying to email apparently
        2. Please response quickly.
        3. Copying everyone on the committee in helps avoid problems if one person misses it.
      2. Noose
        1. Hasn’t been printed this month due to lack of sponsor
        2. Committee agrees that if no comments on a draft are received in 7 days, the newsletter will go to print.
        3. Court reps will now also be added to the editorial circulation list for checking the newsletter.
      3. This month the noose will be paid for by GHRA as there is no sponsor.  (Approval was also granted to pay for a second unsponsored newsletter)
    4. Anti-Social Behaviour
      1. Incidents have been reported.
      2. Paul Bartlett has been looking into this. Suggestion made that all parties involved work together to promptly resolve rather than passing problem from one to the other.
    1. Neighbourhood Watch

Milton Keynes Neighbourhood Watch invited scheme co-ordinators to their AGM in the Civic Offices on Saturday the 14th of October.

DPT attended and saw presentations from Chief Inspector Neil Kentish TVP and MKCouncil Safer MK http://www.safermk.com/ Colin Wilderspin

MKNHW want to expand within communities and SaferMK want to incorporate Community resilience.

Colin Harmsworth of JCAC (who also attending the meeting) has asked GHRA if he can attend our next public meeting to introduce this charity and its aims as they intend to provide community training that will help community resilience.

DPT also attended meeting in Wolverton on Tuesday evening to see a new Community Forum being introduced by TVP. The purpose of the Community Forum is to bring together, at a local level, the right organisations and members of the public to tackle the top community safety priorities identified through consultation.

      1. MK NW AGM attended by David – There was a discussion of crime in MK
      2. There is interest in having a community disaster planning
      3. Training may be available for First Responders – there will be a presentation about this at GHRA’s next (November) GHRA.
    1. GHRA Official Response
      1. To Peter Marland – MK Council says that the parish council must do the work instead.  It was agreed that a reply needs to be drafted.  GHRA and Mick and Paul should be obviously copied in on our reply.  GHRA would like to express their displeasure with this disengagement.
      2. To SSTC Town Hall (Council Offices) Refurbishments – it is understood that the £290k cost is to be covered by the parish council; there is concern that this cost will be passed onto local residents via an increase in local tax rates.  A vote was carried for GHRA to send a letter to the parish council stating that there is ‘concern about possible impact on increasing local tax rates’.
    2. Inspiring involvement of more GH residents
      1. Give gifts to children at Christmas with GHRA info on to raise awareness.  200 children at South Site School.  Ideas include pens, pencils, book marks,
      2. Christmas carol event may raise profile of GH and our residents association.
      3. Possible future NAG (Neighbourhood Action Group) may be set up.
      4. Do we want to run a survey?
  1. AOB
    1. Estate maintenance
      1. GHRA and Pastor K to look into talking to the council on having maintenance.
    2. Event: 1st Anniversary Party at Conservative Club – Mick to organise.  Some level of ticketing (can be free) to confirm numbers will be needed.
    3. Event:  Carol Singing (check doesn’t clash with SS Church).  Look into police permission.
    4. Notice board (Thursday 8:30 a.m.) will actually be moved.
  2. Next Meeting
    1. 16th November

GHRA Updates for November 2017

Although updates have been slow here, behind the scenes it’s a different story as the Galley Hill Residents Association is continuing apace and things are happening in Galley Hill.

The Galley Hill noticeboard in its new home

Firstly, the noticeboard by the school has finally been moved to its new position. Cllr Mick Allsopp and our Chairperson Nyomie were there to see the result of months of badgering the council to get the first of the GHRA projects completed.

We have also seen the bench carving project funded and the carving begun. The bench carving from the fallen tree has begunThe local St. Mary St. Giles school in Galley Hill has been asked to involve the children in designing a theme for the carver to decorate the bench with.

There has also been a very welcome closer relationship between GHRA and both of our Councillors for the area, with all 3 working together to put pressure on the various Councils to get the necessary repairs done in Galley Hill. We are now getting a better response when issues are raised, such as when the park trampoline needed to be repaired. MK Council were contacted by several residents, the case was highlighted to both Councillors by the GHRA, and Mick Allsopp and Paul Bartlett both put additional pressure on the council to get a speedy response.  The same thing happened when the park surfacing material was vandalised, again we had the backing of the councillors and again a prompt response.

Some things however still get short shrift from MK Council such as missing street name signage at Clailey Court and Redbourne Court, potholes, and tree damage to redway paths, despite the concerted efforts by residents, GHRA and our councillors. We continue trying to motivate the Council to stop passing the buck and to carry out much needed repairs around the estate anyway.

Finally we are looking for thesingers among you to volunteer to sing in the carol services being organised by our secretary Joy, and court reps Sue and Kate. They are proposing to hold the carols on Tue, 12th December, starting ~6pm and would also like to hold a general rehearsal on Thurs, 23rd November. Please volunteer if you have the time, contact them by email secretary@ghra.uk or buckley@ghra.uk 

Thanks for your support from all at GHRA

Minutes of the GHRA meeting 21/9/17

Galley Hill Residents Association

Minutes: Committee Meeting

Thursday, 21st September, 2017 (18:30) Small Meeting Place

 

Welcome and H&S

Nyomie welcomed everyone.

 

Attendees

Nyomie Flecknell, Paul Flecknell, Roy Adams, Sue Tichmarsh, Douglas Tichmarsh, David Tavener, Paul Randall, Gill Millar, Janet Randall, Debbie Styles, Mick Allsopp, May Gray, Helen Bowlt (MK Library) Rob Gifford (SSTC), Paul Catherine and Peter Bolton, Sue Fitch, Pauline & Colin Wiginton, Shirley & Ian Leigh, Richard Eaton, Karen & S Huszla, J & B Collison, Mary O’Keeffe.

 

Apologies: Joy Sumner

 

Formal approval of previous minutes (available online at GHRA.uk)

There were no issues raised and the minutes were approved.

 

Items for discussion

 

New Vice Chairman

Roy conducted the ballot and asked the audience if they wanted to ask the candidates any questions before voting, there were none. The outcome of the vote was in David Tavener being selected.

 

Future meeting dates

We set dates for future meetings every third Thursday of the month with a starting time of 18:45 and to retain alternate public & committee meetings? Sec to advise Pastor of actual dates.

 

Tree-carving/bench

Roy advised funds now in our bank account and he is meeting with Sally , Nyomie, & carver in Stony on Tuesday. Mick subsequently confirmed his attendance.

 

Local activities

Our coffee morning is now well established and is modestly contributing to our funds. Other activities are in planning and will move forward when insurance cover has been established.

 

Financial

Roy confirmed our application to MKC for a grant of £400 is approved and payment is eagerly anticipated. We have an additional £400 application pending approval. Roy handed out a financial breakdown showing “trading” to date and confirmed our balance to be £1681.68, £1500 of that being out aside for the tree carving.

 

Communication

Doug confirmed that all our outlets (Noose, Friends of Galley Hill Facebook, www.GHRA.uk) were up to date and running smoothly, when asked the audience confirmed they approved of the Noose and its content.

 

We had contemplated leaving the SSTC Notice board where it is due to licensing cost. Mick indicated that the license would not apply after all.

 

Problems

Trees/leaves/landscaping

Antisocial parking

Pathway/road problems

These were basically covered by letter to the Council Leader Peter Marland who did not accept our invitation to attend. The letter and his reply were available in the meeting for those interested to take and read. GHRA will draft and agree a response to Mr Marland’s reply in due course and keep you informed of progress. Anyone wanting to read these documents please get in touch.

 

SSTC Refurbish Project

At 19:15 Nyomie handed over the floor to Rob Gifford and Helen Bowlt (SSTC & MK library) to present their Town Hall refurbishment plans.

 

There were an interesting exchange between the audience and Rob. Rob pointed out that the building was 40 years old and required some attention, a member of the audience replied that Galley Hill was 45 years old and also needed attention.

 

Rob indicated that to fund the redevelopment they would need to increase local taxes by around 5% (at the coffee morning on Tuesday he quoted between 5% & 10%).

 

Q1 How will the decision be made

R1 Rob. subject to public approval the item will be discussed at the 16th of November Council Meeting and again on the 3rd Tuesday in January at another Council Meeting.

 

Q2 If plans go ahead what provision will be made for library services during the refurbishment?

R2 Helen. The mobile library is available

 

Q3 is Bletchley funding their library refurbishment

R3 Helen. Developers section 106 is funding it and this will also apply to some of the Stony funding.

 

Q4 is it correct that the Library funding could be terminated by MKC at any time leaving the Stony taxpayer without a tenant who is currently contributing c£6000 per annum?

R4 Rob. Yes.

 

There was a lot of interest in this topic but Nyomie had to thank Rob and terminate the question and answer session to enable us to conclude our meeting.

 

Any other business

Doug announced that the school was undertaking repairs/painting this weekend and anyone wanting to volunteer would be welcome.

Friday the 22nd September 16:00 to 20:00

Saturday the 23rd September 09:00 to 18:00

 

At 20:00 the meeting was closed & Nyomie thanked everyone for attending.

Update On Meeting Held on 21/9/17

The first thing we would like to say is THANK YOU. We really want to thank everyone who attended the meeting on Thursday 21/9, the turnout was one of the biggest so far. We also want to say a huge thank you to Mick Allsopp as he steps down from his role as Vice Chairperson to concentrate more on helping to improve Galley Hill through his role as our local Councillor, thanks for helping us to get set up, thanks for his work with the Stony Stratford Town Council to get our residents association recognised, and thanks for his continued support.

The meeting itself was packed, the committee all arrived early (with apologies from Joy Sumner who had work commitments) to get through the stuff which needs to be agreed or discussed among ourselves, and thanks to a rather muted Nyomie (Chairperson), who was suffering with a bad throat, we managed to get all of the other stuff out of the way in time to announce our vote for a new Vice Chairperson, with choices of Dave Tavener or Paul Flecknell, both of whom are invaluable assets to the GHRA.

While people were cogitating over who to vote for we heard from our Treasurer, Roy, who has been beavering away on the finances and arranging the tree carving in place of Mick. Roy informed us that we have the £1500 tree carving funds securely in our account ready to pay the carver. We have also been granted £400 from local council funds which is in the process of being transferred to our account to be used for some of the events being planned. The Tuesday coffee mornings have also added to our total fund, and we have raised over £100 (full figures will be made available on our financial statement soon) from all activities.

We then counted the votes and it was a bit of a surprise landslide win for Dave Tavener to be our new Vice Chairperson, with 20 votes for Dave and 3 for Paul. So congratulations to Dave, but Paul will be continuing in his role as events coordinator so all is not lost.

We then heard from our visitors from Stony Stratford Council and Milton Keynes Library Service on the ongoing plans for the library building in Stony Stratford. They explained how the building was going to be refurbished and the library may be moved to the first floor, while the ground floor would be used for offices and an open area which may be rented out. These proposals are still in negotiation and this meeting was used as part of the ongoing consultation process. For those who weren’t at the meeting and want more details of the plans you can find them at the Stony Stratford Town Council website. 

There was a Q and A session regarding the plans for the library building, and several points were raised by attendees. Concerns which were raised included

  • Access to the first floor by less able bodied people
  • How money was being raised for the refurbishment
  • If the library service closes the Stony library then how is it to be funded in the future as it also serves as offices for the Stony Stratford Town Council.

These points were discussed and are to be taken into account as the plans progress. We will keep you informed as the consultations continue.

The meeting was brought to a close by Nyomie, minutes will be available to view here as soon as they are agreed to be acceptable.

Thanks to all who support the GHRA from all of The Galley Hill Residents Association Committee.

Reminders

We have so much going on that it’s difficult to know where to start, so we will start with the tree carving news. We have secured the funding for the tree carving, to turn the fallen tree near the park into a bench. We are working with Stony Stratford Town Council, who are helping to arrange the tree carver, and St. Marys St. Giles school to get ideas from local children on how it should look.

On the subject of the school, they are looking for volunteers to help paint the school interior, do some odd jobs and move a shed for them. If you are willing to help and available on Friday 22nd September from 4pm to 8pm (or any time in between) or Saturday 23rd between 9 am and 6pm then please come along and pitch in.

We also have our public meeting on Thursday 21st September from 7pm at the Small Meeting Place (above the shop). We will be asking for people to vote on who our next Vice Chair should be as Cllr Mick Allsopp stood down from the position earlier in the year.

We also have some guests from Stony Stratford Town Council coming along to the meeting to talk about their plans for the library building in Stony Stratford. This is part of their ongoing consultation on their proposed refurbishment of the building and you can have your say on Thursday.

Finally a quick reminder that our coffee mornings are still happening every Tuesday between 10 am and 12 at the Small Meeting Place. Everyone is welcome for coffee, biscuits and a chat.

We hope to see you at any or all of the above events, from all the Committee of the Galley Hill Residents Association.

Minutes of GHRA Meeting 18th August 2017

Minutes:  Committee Meeting #6

Thursday, 17th august, 2017 (7pm)

Small Meeting Place Galley Hill

 

Welcome and H&S

Nyomie welcomed our two visitors PCSO Tina Lewington and SSTC Chairman Joan Walker MBE

Attendees: Nyomie Flecknell, Roy Adams, Douglas Titchmarsh, David Tavener, Paul Randall, Gill Millar, Janet Randall, Debbie Styles, Mick Allsopp, May Gray, V Harrison, Tina Lewington, Joan Walker MBE.

Apologies: Vicky Wiginton, Joy Sumner

Formal approval of previous minutes (available online at GHRA.uk)

There were no issues raised and the minutes were approved.

We deviated from the posted agenda to hear from our two guests.

The meeting started with Nyomie asking Tina four questions which had been submitted in advance. abbreviated replies in italics

  1. are we going to have more police presence on GH?

Tina replied that unfortunately that would not be the case

  1. what is being done about crime taking place on GH?

Tina replied that this was just a spike and that Police were reliant on community cooperation to resolve.

  1. what can we do to reassure people worried about the rise in crime

Police do their best to attend events like this to reassure people by increased contact

  1. what is causing the crime wave on GH?

as stated earlier it’s just a typical spike and we need to be vigilant and report crime

Nyomie and attendees thanked Tina for her time and providing the feedback and reassurance we sought. Tina then left the meeting to resume her duties.

David T requested the meeting adopt GHRA proposal for individuals to use CCTV and speed camera software as there had been no objections from the newsletter survey. With no objections from the meeting we will proceed.

Mick introduced SSTC Chairman Joan Walker MBE and invited her to address the meeting. Joan wanted to return to clear up some misunderstandings that had taken place during the previous Council meeting held at the SMP. Joan described how the council works, what they can and cannot do and how their hands are tied by strict procedures.

Nyomie thanked Joan for attending and clarifying the Council’s position and everyone looks forward to working with SSTC in the spirit of mutual appreciation & goodwill

We then returned our attention to the formal agenda.

Discuss up-coming committee position changes (Chair, vice-chair, events)

Nyomie mentioned that there were two nominations to date but that we did need people from the estate to seriously consider volunteering to help their friends and neighbours. The pay is lousy but job satisfaction is high.

Set dates for coming meetings

Mick was asked to contact Pastor Kumi and try to arrange a further year of the third Thursday every month in 2018 with the meeting starting earlier at 18:30.

Tree-carving/bench

Roy has had funding confirmed, some final paperwork to complete and get the school children involved in design with artist/carver.

Local activities

Coffee mornings. Proceeding well and to be mentioned in next SSTC Newsletter with open invitation.

Discos & picnics

Open Garden & Counts Competition

Milton Keynes at 50

Christmas Events (singing/Santa)

Funding

Roy is pursuing other sources, all donations welcome, our bank details are on the web site.

Communication

“Noose” newsletter: Please let us have articles or items you would like included

“Friends of Galley Hill” Facebook page

Notice board: this will apparently require an £80 license to relocate!

Website – GHRA.uk

Problems

Trees/leaves/landscaping

David T mentioned that several initiatives had been blocked by MK Council without reasonable explanation. The outcome of the brief discussion was to invite the council leader Peter Marland to our next meeting to explain why. David was tasked with producing a letter inviting Mr Marland to the meeting.

Any other business: none

Dates of next meetings:

General Meeting Committee Meeting
21st September 19th October
16th November 14th December

Galley Hill Bad News Good News

It might seem that lately all we hear is bad news around our estate. Recently more cars have been broken into, we have heard of more houses being burgled, more antisocial behaviour around Galley Hill. Yes, we are afraid that all this is true and all we can do is work together as a community to keep an eye on each other, and watch fir suspicious activity, and help out where we can by reporting it when we spot it.

Having passed on the negativity to all who read this, let’s talk about the positives we have too. Recently somebody on Galley Hill got a stolen bicycle back after posting about the theft in our Facebook group, Friends Of Galley Hill. People are also using the social media pages to alert others of suspicious activity and strangers in the area. Working together we can help to prevent these terrible things from happening (see the links to the Neighbourhood Watch scheme for Galley hill available above this post).

As I walked around the area recently with our dog, it struck me what a beautiful area we live in too. It inspired me to write about the bad so we can also recognise the good stuff and to share the following pictures to prove we do have positives to be proud of..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As you can see, we do live in a beautiful area, one which we can be proud of, and we should all work together to keep it this way!

If you have any stories, or pictures of the area around Galley Hill to share with us, please get in touch so we can put them here for all of our neighbours to see.

Nominations Needed

We need your help here at Galley Hill Residents Association, we need some new committee volunteers.

  • The deadline for Vice Chair nominations has been pushed back 1 month to August 17th and for election to September, please nominate or volunteer to be our Vice Chair

The Events Organiser position is also up for election in September (nominations need to be in by  August 17th)

  • Please contact us either via court reps or the website if you would like to stand.  You (or a proxy) will have to make a brief speech at the September meeting to support your bid before the meeting and this must be on the website by August committee meeting.
  • Also vote for a new Chairperson in November (nominations must be in by October!)

Please help us to fill these positions, comment below to volunteer or nominate someone before our next meeting on 17th August at the Small Meeting Place above the Galley Hill shop.